×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 801



The Nigerian Army on Sunday said it's started a probe into recent assaults by Boko all Naija news.com Haram militants which claimed dozens of lives of lives near Maiduguri, capital of northeast Borno state.

At least 85 people died when insurgents stormed and torched a hamlet on January 30, the third assault in four days defying President Muhammadu Buhari's claim Nigeria had mainly defeated the jihadist group.

"The recent unfortunate strikes by Boko Haram terrorists on communities close to Maiduguri, despite our successes, call for anxiety," the military said.

"The Nigerian Army has commenced investigation into the assaults... all Naija news mobile instances of indiscipline and related acts of misconduct including human rights abuse in the operations will be tried by the Special Court Martial," said the statement said, without clarifying what the probe was investigating.

Tens of thousands of individuals have fled their homes near Maiduguri for the capital Nigerian Food Fufu and several are fearful to return, despite Nigeria Police Recruitment 2015 government assurances of their safety, following the recent strikes.

Buhari in December claimed that Nigeria had mostly won the fight against Boko Haram, but since then the militants have killed dozens in suicide attacks and raids, including over the border in Cameroon.

Rights group Amnesty International has also accused of committing potential crimes against humanity and war crimes from the group in the length of its operations, the military itself.



Boko Haram, which seeks a hardline Islamic state in northern Nigeria, has killed some 17,000 people and driven more than 2.6 million others to flee their homes since the beginning of its insurgency Naijanewsupdate in 2009.